Stay up to date on the latest DOT and OSHA industry news along with tips and tricks from Craig Safety Technologies.
Take the Time to Assess Your Safety Management Program
- Aug 22, 2012
Does your safety management program meet all these criteria? It should.
- Develop policies that provide clear priorities for safety and health?
- Consider safety and health to be a line rather than a staff function?
- Follow safety and health rules personally, leading by example?
- Delegate authority to those with assigned safety responsibilities?
- Allocate resources to support the safety and health systems?
- Ensure that appropriate safety and health training is provided?
- Support fair and effective policies that promote safety and health performance?
- Place value on employee involvement and participation in safety and health issues?
Do you develop effective means to involve employees in safety and health issues and actively involve employees in:
- Organizational decision making regarding safety and health policy?
- Organizational decision making regarding safety and health resource allocation?
- Organizational decision making regarding safety and health training?
- Hazard detection activities?
- Hazard prevention and control activities?
- The safety and health training of co-workers?
Administration and Supervision
- Assign safety and health responsibilities to individuals or positions?
- Clearly communicate to those responsible?
- Have an accountability mechanism in place for each assignment of responsibility?
- Ensure persons with assigned responsibilities have the knowledge and ability to do the job?
- Ensure persons with assigned responsibilities have the authority to do the job?
- Ensure persons with assigned responsibilities have the resources to do the job?
- Ensure company policies promote performance of safety and health responsibilities?
- Achieve correction of non-performance of safety and health responsibilities?
Planning and Evaluation
Do you have effective systems in place to provide for:
- Workplace injury/illness analysis?
- Hazard incidence analysis?
- Setting and evaluating goals and objectives for safety and health?
- Action planning to accomplish goals?
- Comprehensive review of safety and health management system?
- Thorough review of OSHA mandated programs?
Do you provide:
- Appropriate safety and health training for employees?
- Initial orientation that covers applicable safety and health information?
- Appropriate safety and health training for supervisors?
- Supervisory training covering supervisory aspects of safety and health responsibilities?
- Appropriate safety and health training for managers?
- Management training that covers relevant safety and health management aspects?
Hazard Anticipation and Detection
Do you have effective policies, plans, or procedures for:
- Baseline hazard surveys of safety and health conditions?
- Regular self-inspections covering the entire facility?
- Conducting surveillance of established hazard controls?
- Hazard reporting?
- Change analysis of new or changed facilities, equipment, materials, or processes?
- Accident investigation to determine root causes?
- Understanding SDS usage relating to potential chemical hazards in the workplace?
- Conducting job hazard analysis, job safety analysis, or phase hazard analysis?
- Having expert hazard analysis conducted periodically?
- Incident investigation to determine root cause?
Hazard Prevention and Control
Have you implemented:
- Feasible engineering controls where possible?
- Effective safety and health rules in place and understood by the workforce?
- All applicable OSHA mandated programs?
- PPE usage procedures?
- Good housekeeping procedures?
- Emergency action plans?
- Emergency medical plans?
- Effective preventive maintenance procedures?
- Tracking procedures for hazard correction?